Sunday, March 26, 2006

memoirs

NOTE: There will be more posting soon concerning Thomas Bickle and what my youth group/church are putting together to raise money, so don't think we've forgotten him.

This post is posted for Adam Hair, a young chap who I didn't even know read this blog. Here's your reading material.

So this weekend I had some good times. Radiant had a show at Hailey's on Friday, and while Denton isn't usually their forte as far as bringing in crowds, it was a really good show! I saw a friend from high school, and a couple more recent acquisitions, and I even ran into this guy Aaron Hale, who I, thanks to Mr. Benom Plumb, recorded violin for in Irons Hall until the wee wee wee hours of the morning. It was great and the crowd seemed really into Radiant, so overall a good night ensued. (Minus the fact that K-stone had to work)

THEN, on Saturday evening, I went to a scrapbooking party for my friend Donna Codd's birthday EXTRAVAGANZA!!! (EXTRAVAGANZA should always be capitalized, don't you think?)

*Now let me preface this by adding a side bar to Mrs. Rian Moody. I love you, and I had a great time on Saturday, but we both know that scrapbooking has never been one of the core desires of my being, so I hope you'll remember that as you read this posting. *WINK*

I'm not a huge fan of scrapbooking, mostly I think because I'm not really into flowers and frills and other such girly-esque things. Even looking back at my childhood, my crafty things that I would make in Sunday School and grade school (whatever grades still have you gluing blue construction paper to yellow construction paper) were a bit lacking in enthusiasm. Most people might say then, "Why even go, Becki?" Even Rian was surprised I was going, as she knows the aforementioned "core desires" of which I spake. But I say, someone else's birthday party isn't about me. It isn't about doing what I most love doing because it's not my freaking birthday. So I went. And I did have fun.

I, given the previously stated lack of a past filled to the brim with "scrapping" (as I heard it referred to by this woman with a nose ring who was....."scrapping" there at our table), I subsequently haven't acquired the basic necessities of this crafty hobby, which include but are not limited to: paper (every kind of paper you could EVER imagine), stamps, brads, scissors that cut funny, hammers, ribbon, glue sticks, glue dots, and I can't even remember what else. To make up for this, I went to Michael's™, which was conveniently located right next door, and just got some blank cards and envelopes to decorate.

I was actually a little nervous about this, because I didn't even know where I was going to begin. There were all sorts of shapes that I could cut paper into, including labels, flowers, animals, tags, states (actually, I think they only had Texas, now that I think about it.), and more. I decided that I would stay true to my love of modern design and only go with squares and rectangles. Clean lines, baby.

Plus, I'm not super artistic when it comes to visual aesthetics, so I don't really enjoy expending an unusual effort on something that I don't feel particularly confident about. Anyhoo, I think my cards (the two I made) Turned out fairly well. I made one for Miss Erin Joy Sullivan, since I think she's the friend of mine who'd most appreciate crafty items, and I made one for Kevin, because....well, you know.

Rian commended my modern attempt, so who knows, maybe I can put my own spin on this whole scrapbooking idea. I'll try to take pictures of these cards (if I can re-confiscate them) and post them in this, but for now, I'll just include this pictoral representation of some of my night.

A mere taste:


...to be continued.

1 comment:

Rian said...

Bec Bec, I was so proud that you came. The common misconception is that scrapping and card making is all girly and flowers and ribbon. But It's not. It is about being creative and expressing yourself. Making your pictures and your cards your own. I think you did a fabulous job on your two cards and hope you will join us again??!?!?

NO PRESSURE!!!!

Reno :)