Wednesday, May 02, 2007

loss

This is kind of a somber post, so I apologize for the lack of joviality. I just found out that one of our long time vendors at work passed away. His name was Mark Denson and he worked at a digital printer in Dallas that we used quite frequently. We hadn't been using them for a while for a couple reasons.

For one, I knew Mark had been out of the office for a couple months because of health reasons, but I wasn't sure of the severity, and then a few months ago he called back to let me know he was back in the office and feeling better, so that was great news.

Two, we haven't really been doing that many digital jobs in the past few months so I hadn't really needed to call over there.

Well today, I sent an email over to get a quote on reprinting a job we'd done last year, and that's when I got a call back from one of his co-workers to let me know the news. When she told me what had happened, all I could do was gasp. Mark was in his forties....MAYBE fifties at the very latest. She told me he'd had bladder cancer and that he actually passed away a couple months ago. She mentioned to me that they had worked together for a really long time and that they had been really close friends and I could hear in her voice that she was having a hard time telling me.

I don't know. It's a strange feeling. I'm very sad, but it's a very surreal feeling maybe in part due to the suddenness and that I just found out a few minutes ago. I keep thinking that we should have used him for more jobs or that I should have called him or I don't know. I mean, he was a vendor for us, so I wouldn't normally call him just to say hi, but now I feel like maybe I should have. I don't know. I feel really....indiscribable I guess.

I'm praying for his family and friends. Sorry this wasn't very uplifting.

1 comment:

monica said...

becki i miss you.