Tuesday, December 12, 2006

come-uppance

come·up·pance
n.
A punishment or retribution that one deserves; one's just deserts. (I think we should all use the phrase "just deserts" more often, don't you agree?)

I had to drive to Central Market to take some pictures of their parking lot for a photoshop project at work today, and on the way back to the office, I turned on NPR. They were talking about how media reporters have really gotten their come-uppance with the rise in popularity of the internet. There are just too many news voices out there, and newspaper journalists and media reporters are getting lost in the shuffle of popular bloggers and other news discussing sites.

I see that in my own life. I come to work and I look on cnn.com. Other than the "ARCTIC BLAST" heard 'round the metroplex, I don't remember the last time I actually watched the news on tv. And the last time I read a newspaper regularly was when I worked at MBNA and would pass the mind numbing hours enriching my vocabulary as well as my ability to think "outside" of the box(es) via the crossword puzzle. Of the New York Times persuasion, might I add.

Anybuns, one of the points they made that I found rather interesting - and true - is that the internet has broken down many of the cultural barriers once present between rural and urban areas. Clothing, jargon, knowledge of current pop-culture as well as newsworthy stories now span this once great divide. Kids in towns with no movie theaters are becoming indestinguishable from kids in urban areas.

Interesting. We've come so far. Thanks, Lisa.



Who remembers looking at this?

No comments: