Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"memorializing" country nuptials

My dear friend Tammy got married this weekend to her dear beau Adam down in Fredericksburg, TX. More specifically at the Red Barn at Pepper Ranch, and if you haven't been to Frederickburg you should check it out. It's GORGEOUS. It's about an hour and a half west of Austin, and being in beloved Hill Country, I'm sure you can imagine it's glorious magnificence. I may or may not have just wanted to use the phrase "glorious magnificence," but don't let that diminish it's actual grandeur. It was extremely beautiful. I was a little nervous driving down because I haven't been there before, and being primarily a city girl, I only feel half confident navigating the country roads and not second guessing that I missed Loop SH TX 290 South Business CR West East North every mile.

ALSO.....GPS......not so hot in the rural areas, turns out. I'm not complaining because the very idea of GPS and the fact that we can use it successfully probably about 85-90% of the time is a minor miracle. However, when you're driving to the country, are already unfamiliar with the gravely/dirt-y terrain, and your GPS is telling you the location is in the center of a cow pasture where no building can be seen for miles, but there are plenty of no trespassing signs....when the only phone number you have is the bride's and you don't want to trouble her before her wedding...it can be a little frustrating. But hey, I made some new friends:




They were quiet, pensive friends, but friends nonetheless, especially in my time of need. Their silence (and a static riddled phone call back from one of the bridesmaids handling the bride's phone) served as my guide back to the ACTUAL location of the wedding versus the pretend GPS location.

Here are some of my favorite photos I got of the wedding:

















(this one is my favorite):







It was a gorgeous, intimate ceremony, and I am so happy for Tammy & Adam!! And everyone should get married in Fredericksburg. Just make sure you take plenty of pre-recorded talk radio to keep you company on the 4.5 hour drive to and from, particularly if you're driving back that night and not arriving home until 1:30 in the morn. But man my bed sure felt nice.

To the Vanderkolks - Salud! And always remember, when you toast someone, it's polite to make eye contact whilst toasting. (I prefer to make the eye contact as intense and uncomfortable as possible)

5 comments:

Michael said...

Is that liberal talk radio or conservative talk radio? I can't tell with you anymore.

P.S. God voted for McCain.

John said...

The wife and I celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary in Fredricksburg. It was lovely.

BTW, God only voted for McCain because Ron Paul had dropped out.

becki said...

Oh you politicos!! Hilarious! And Fredericksburg sounds like a great anniversary trip! I was thinking the same thing while I was there!

Lolly said...

I love, love, love Hill Country! Fredericksburg, Kerrville, the smaller towns like Ingram, Bandera and Medina!! I pretend that my place in heaven will be just like Texas Hill Country.

Our 10th anniversary, so very long ago, was spent in Gruene at the Gruene Mansion Inn. *sigh*

The description and pictures of the wedding were magical!

LIZZY said...

yes, you do make that stare quite uncomfortable...