Monday, January 04, 2010

3/365 - "Alice"

Day 3 (yesterday) was a great last day before starting back to work after the holiday. Came home and took a nap after church - Sunday naps are the best - then Kevin and I headed out to the IMAX theater up at 635 and 35 to see Avatar in 3D on the IMAX screen. We got there about 30 minutes before our showtime thinking that surely it wouldn't be sold out on it's 3rd weekend out in theaters. We were wrong. So we ended up just going to the "regular" 3D screening 30 minutes later. Which was also almost completely full. CRAZY!

I read that as of yesterday, Avatar had already (in only 17 days) grossed over $1 billion worldwide. Apparently only 5 films have ever done that. I was pretty skeptical about the movie initially, and in conversation about thoughts on the movie I may have uttered the word "lame" more than once. But then when it came out I started hearing repeated rumblings about how great it was, so last night we decided to check it out. I must say....I enjoyed it quite a lot. If you haven't seen it and are interested, here are a few things you should know:

1. it is 3 hours long
2. it took 30 minutes for my eyes to adjust to the 3D
3. people will clap when the movie is over
4. you will feel a strange urge to explore outside your race/species to find love
5. that might or might not actually be true
6. it took about 10 minutes for my eyes to adjust back from 3D. I couldn't even look at my phone screen without squinting and making some sort of indecipherable noise of discontent. My precious eyes!

All that to say, we really liked it. Feel free to make your own decision after you see it. I took a few photos from last night's IMAX excursion, and finally settled on this one for my Project 365 pic:

"Alice"

No comments: