Friday, January 08, 2010

7/365

Last night I played at Trees with Jacob Metcalf as part of the Local Edge Live concert series. It was free and it was a glorious line up. We opened the show around 8pm, followed by, Baruch the Scribe, Seryn and then finally Spooky Folk.

It was a wonderful, Denton-heavy line up (we were the only Dallasites on the bill) filled with amazing musicians. My 2/365 photo was an image of one of the rehearsals we had for this show. One of the two rehearsals I was able to attend, that is. That's the one thing about playing with really excellent instrumentalists. We didn't have a single rehearsal with everyone present, and the show went off beautifully without a hitch! Jacob Metcalf, the band's namesake, guitarist and lead vocalist, decided that for this show he'd like to do something a little different. Different = 9 string players on stage, all with direct inputs (that's "stage talk" for fancy plug-in thingys). Every sound guy's delight......or worst nightmare. I knew two of the string players already - Miss Buffi J, cellist extraordinaire, who I've known because she plays in bands such as Robert Gomez and the Polyphonic Spree, and we also play in the orchestras for musicals together 3-4 times a year. I heart her. I also knew Markus, another cellist I know through Kevin, who lives in Nashville primarily and does studio work as well as playing in the Kopecky Family Band. In addition to my already great friends, I met 6 new people/string players, including Miss Petra Kelly, fellow violinist lady who also plays with the aforementioned Spooky Folk, and she also wrote/arranged the violin parts for Jacob's songs, which were so gorgeous.

The sound guy was completely accommodating and Kevin said that the music sounded perfect from the audience and it was just a really wonderful time. It's not often that I get a chance to play with a group of strings like that alongside a band, and it was sooooo much fun! I couldn't stop smiling the whole time!

Here are a few pictures I took/gathered of last night, and I'll sum it up with my 7/365 photo.

Jacob getting his mic check on:


Blurry Buffi & Markus:


Petra & Jacob:


Orange Me & Petra:


De la audience ("borrowed" from Mark from the edge's twitpic):


De la stage ("borrowed" from Mark from the edge's twitpic):


And finally, 7/365 - "conductor"

That cute little tweet tweet was our "conductor" and Jacob cleverly painted a little tuxedo on his chest. Totes Adorbs!!

1 comment:

ejakovljevic said...

oh blast ! i totally meant to go to this show....forgot